Can new technology bring hope to children who have drug-resistant epilepsy?
More than 500,000 children in Canada and the USA have epilepsy. About a third of those children continue to have seizures despite taking anti-seizure medications, also known as pediatric drug resistant epilepsy (DRE). Surgery may be one option for them, but what if there is another option that is less invasive or more effective? What if new technology can bring hope to children who have DRE?
ABOUT SEIZING HOPE
Families with children suffering from pediatric drug resistant epilepsy (DRE) face complex realities. In a world guided by the promises of technology, the goal of Seizing Hope is to raise awareness about the options offered by different technologies specifically for the brain in complement or as an alternative to treatment with medication. As the directors and producers of this mini-documentary, we want to empower and improve decision-making by exploring values and priorities through the lens of the families and doctors who care for them. We compiled the stories of four families with children who have pediatric DRE to shed light on their hope, trust, and empowerment journey.
The views and research presented in this documentary represent a multi-year neuroethics project funded by the National Institute of Mental Health of the USA National Institutes of Health, BRAIN Initiative.
Neuroethics Canada UBC, with funding from the NIH/NIMH BRAIN Initiative (#RF1MH117805-01) in association with Conexkt Innovation Studio And Cassiar Film CO. present Seizing Hope.
Featuring the Bagg, Chartrand, Thompson, and Cowin families.
Executive Producers Dr. Judy Illes and Dr. Patrick J. McDonald.
Produced by Dr. Johann Roduit. Directed by Adam Wormald.
Learn more at https://www.seizinghopefilm.com/
For more pediatric drug resistant epilepsy and neurotechnological treatments resource materials, please visit: https://neuroethics.med.ubc.ca/res/nih-epilepsy-resources/
UPCOMING SCREENING EVENTS:
- Mon, Mar 27, 2023, 6:00PM EDT: Special film screening event with the Epilepsy Durham Region (RSVP here)
- Tue, Apr 4, 2023, 6:00PM EDT: Special film screening event with Carleton University (RSVP here)
- Tue, Apr 11, 2023, 12:00PM EDT: Virtual film screening event with NSCI300 at McGill University
- Mon, May 1 2023, 3:30PM EDT: Special film screening event with the Center for Bioethics & Health Law at the University of Pittsburgh
- Tue, May 16, 2023, 12:00PM AEST: Special film screening event with the Epilepsy Action Australia
PAST SCREENING EVENTS:
- Wed, Jul 6, 2022, 5:00PM PDT: World Premiere of Seizing Hope: High Tech Journeys in Pediatric Epilepsy (Link)
- Thu, Sep 1, 2022, 6:30PM PDT: Virtual film screening event co-hosted by the BC Epilepsy Society (Link)
- Wed, Sep 7, 2022, 4:00PM: Virtual film screening event co-hosted by Neuroethics Café, Maastricht University
- Wed, Sep 21, 2022, 6:30PM: Special film screening event with Clinical Neuroethics Film Nights, UBC
- Mon, Oct 3, 2022, 4:00PM PDT: Special film screening event at the BC Children’s Hospital (Link)
- Thu, Oct 20, 2022, 11:50AM CET: Special film screening event at the INC Day 2022: Neuroethics (Link)
- Tue, Nov 1, 2022, 7:00PM EDT: Special film screening event at the 2022 INS Annual Meeting (Link)
- Thu, Nov 17, 2022, 5:00PM PST: Special film screening event at Kitimat, BC (Link)
- Sat, Nov 19, 2022: 1:30PM PST: Chilliwack Independent Film Festival (Documentaries) (Link)
- Sun, Dec 4, 2022, 2:30PM CST: USA Premiere co-hosted by the Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery Alliance at the 2022 American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting
- Wed, Dec 7, 2022: Special film screening event at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras
- Wed, Jan 10, 2023, 11:00AM EST: Virtual film screening event with the Department of Pediatrics at University of Montréal
- Wed, Jan 26, 2023, 6:00PM EST: Virtual film screening event with the Divisions of Bioethics and Pediatric Neurology at Columbia University
- Thu, Feb 2, 2023, 7:00PM PST: Special film screening event at Whistler, BC (Link)
- Tue, Feb 7, 2023, 5:00PM EST: Special film screening event at the Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) (Link)
- Wed, Feb 8, 2023, 12:00PM CST: Special film screening event with the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy (Developing Issues in Bioethics and Society Seminar Speaker Series) at Baylor College of Medicine
- Thu, Feb 9, 2023, 6:00PM EST: Special film screening event with the Department of Neuroscience at Carleton University (Link)
- Tue-Wed, Feb 21-22, 2023: Special film screening event with the Rock Ethics Institute at the Pennsylvania State University
- Thu, Feb 23, 2023: Special film screening event at the Annual Ethics Committee Retreat of the Department of Medical Ethics at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Thu, Mar 2, 2023: Special film screening event at the UBC Neurosurgery Grand Rounds
- Wed, Mar 8, 2023, 9:00AM PST: Virtual film screening event with the Bioethics and Palliative Care at Seattle Children’s Hospital