- Kristine Chapman and Judy Illes: Stem cells claims are ahead of the science
- People are searching for health information online, but is what they're finding useful?
- Milestone anniversary for neuroethics brings change, partnerships, and greater influence
- Governor General Julie Payette met with new Order of Canada & Order of British Columbia recipients
- Prof. Jennifer A. Chandler’s BC Almanac Interview on Medical Aid in Dying
- Five ways to reduce the physical harms of smartphone use
- CBC Radio's The Current features Dr. Peter B. Reiner
- If morals came in the form of a pill, would we use them?
- Dr. Judy Illes featured in the #SupportTheReport campaign
- The impact of technology on sleep
- Canadian Filipino wins global sticker design contest for Brain Awareness Week 2018
Should scientists and science communicators use Twitter? That’s the question researchers at UBC’s National Core for Neuroethics and the Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health answered by way of an investigation into the online conversation around optogenetics. Click the title to read more.
In the world of complementary and alternative medicine, independence, quality of life, and prevention of disease are important themes. In the world of biomedical ethics, evidence-based medicine, trust, and fairness are key principles. Click the title to read more.
Last week, on August 2nd, the Multi-Council Working Group (MCWG) for the NIH BRAIN Initiative met with directors and staff from the 10 NIH Institutes and Centers supporting the Initiative. The MCWG is an external group of scientific experts that provides oversight of the long-term scientific vision … Click the title to read more.
Core’s Dr. Peter B. Reiner speaks with Carol Off and Jeff Douglas at CBC’s As It Happens last Friday, July 15, 2016 about the risks of D-I-Y transcranial direct current stimulation. Click the title for more.
Dr. Judy Illes re-appointed Associate Faculty in the School of Population and Public Health for 2016-2020
We are pleased to announce that Core’s Dr. Judy Illes has been re-appointed as Associate Faculty at UBC’s School of Population and Public Health (SPPH). This reappointment allows for further academic service and research collaboration between the National Core for Neuroethics and SPPH.
Core’s Dr. Judy Illes and Dr. Lara Specker Sullivan mentioned at PrimeMind’s recent article on self-experimentation and its implications. Click the title to read more.
Podcast: BBC World Service interviews Dr. Judy Illes on the upcoming Olympics and concerns over the Zika virus
As a follow up to The Washington Post’s article on experts saying that Olympics must be moved or postponed because of the Zika virus, Core’s Dr. Judy Illes speaks at the May 28, 2016 (0606 BST) episode of the BBC World Service. Listen to the interview here (4min 15sec):
More than 100 prominent physicians, bioethicists and scientists from around the world posted a letter Friday urging World Health Organization Director-General Margaret Chan to exert pressure on Olympic authorities to move the Olympics from Rio de Janeiro or delay the Games because of public health concerns over the Zi… Click the title to read more.
Click the title to read more.
Core’s Dr. Peter B. Reiner speaks at the April 27, 2016 episode of The Current, which explores ‘calm technology’ and speaks to technological pioneers who say our devices should learn to respect our time and attention. Click the title to read more and listen to the podcast.